Skillz brings us his 2011 rap up. The beat on this one is crazy, and I think he definitely came back strong from last’s years rap up. What a year 2011 was! Listen in and reminisce. Happy 2012. Cheers to last year.
So 2011 was a great year for music, but after looking at it… white rappers really had a hell of a year. Of course none of them are up where Eminem is (Two diamond albums) and probably never will be, but I’d still like to go through the rappers that were buzzin’ this year in the media. Here’s a little video list to explain a little better.
DISCLAIMER: These are just my views on who I think had a great year, if you seem to think different then that’s totally understandable. Let us know in the comments who else you think should have made this list.
1. Mac Miller. His most recent album “Blue Slide Park” just dropped but Mac Miller has been on his grind for a very long time. At only 19 years old he is the only independent artist to sell over 100,000 albums, aside from Snoop Dogg in 1992. That’s a pretty huge accomplishment considering how hard it is to sell albums these days. Mac also charges $30k + for shows these days with estimated earnings of $8 million in 2011 just from touring. Oh and “Donald trump” just certified Gold a few days ago also. (41 Million Views)
2. Machine Gun Kelly. This guy has also been touring for a very long time and got the attention of Diddy at the South by Southwest festival in Texas. He is now signed to Bad Boy and has the craziest fans in the world which are all part of the “Lace Up” movement. His most recent hit has been “Wild Boy” featuring Waka Flocka. (6 Million Views)
3. Action Bronson. Still somewhat underground Action Bronson is just now starting to get the attention he deserves. A lot of hip-hop legends from NYC are starting to co-sign this guy and I feel like he will be having a very good 2012.
4. Chris Webby. I have been a huge Chris Webby fan for a while now and feel like he is one of the best white rappers out there but still hasn’t received enough mainstream attention to make it to the top. One of the best wordsmiths out there also. Look for Webby to be hitting the road in 2012 as he embarks on a nationwide tour.
5. Yelawolf. When you’re signed by the best white emcee, excuse me best emcee to ever do it… then you must have some talent. I remember seeing Yelawolf perform out in Pullman, WA when he was on tour with Wiz Khalifa and he got Boo’d off the stage real quick, same with when he performed in Seattle. He’s made it a long way since then and with the guidance of Slim Shady is guaranteed to have a solid career.
6. Macklemore- One of my favorite hip-hop blog to visit is rapradar.com which is mainly ran by Elliot Wilson, also my favorite hip-hop journalist. Once I saw him posting about Macklemore and his sold out shows I knew it was go time for the Seattle native. He just recently got off tour and every stop was a sold out venue. Really looking to seeing much more success from Macklemore and his partner in crime Ryan Lewis.
7. Asher Roth. I feel like Asher Roth is known way too much for his song ” I love College” than for the lyrical skills he possesses. He’s been coming out with a lot of music recently and inked a new label deal with Def Jam. Look for a lot of new material coming your way in 2012.
This wasn’t a top 10 list of anything, those are just the rappers that I found relevant in the year 2011. Hope you enjoyed the video examples and let us know what you think!
Looking back now, a lot of major stuff happened in the past year so I’ve decided to put together a little video list of what went down. Here are the top moments of 2011 in my opinion, if you think we should add something else on here let us know! So in no particular order here they go.
1. Obama Got Osama. Probably going to be the number one helper in Obama’s 2012 campaign. Killing the person responsible for 9/11 was one of the greatest justifications in United States history.
2. Amanda Knox free at last. Whether you agree with Amanda Knox being guilty or not this case dragged on for years and at one point seemed like there was no hope for innocence. Amanda Knox returning to the States and her home in Seattle was viewed all over the world by everyone anticipating a verdict.
3. Casey Anthony not guilty. Just watched a Dr. Phil special about this the other day. One of the craziest cases the court has ever seen, people still don’t believe she didn’t do it but the court said “not guilty” so that’s what it is. Here’s some more info.
4. Gaddafi Killed. Feel like everyone was waiting for this to happen and it finally did. Rebels killed him and then Tosh. O made a trend out of “Gaddafying” people.
5. Kim Jong Il Dead. Just happened recently. Kim Jong Il had been North Korea’s leader for a very long time and now the people of North Korea or mourning his death. Son is set to take over.
6. Safe Landing in Poland. Polish Pilot Tadeusz Wrona saved 231 people on board this 767 plane by landing on its belly. The wheels wouldn’t deploy but he still found a way to land successfully and was named a hero in Poland.
7. Sandusky. We all know what happened here. Can’t be touching little boys and think to get away with it. The firing of Joe Paterno for witnessing these acts was also very huge and caused riots all over the state of Pennsylvania.
8. Tsunami & Earthquakes in Japan. One of the biggest natural disasters to strike the nation of Japan. Caused nuclear reactors to pollute the air and many lives were lost.
9. Kate and Prince William getting married. The most anticipated Royal wedding ever went down this year too, had everybody talking about it even Kanye West. “If I was him I woulda married Kate and Aaaaaashley”.
10. Steve Jobs Passes. The man that gave the world the iPod, iPhone, iPad, and much much more passed due to cancer. He will be greatly missed and his legacy lives on.
11. The launch of Rich Kids Brand. We launched our official Rich Kids brand June 15th of this year and have experienced some of the greatest moments. From Ludacris, Lil’ Wayne, Meek Mill, Clinton Sparks and many more wearing our clothes to making new friends through traveling and promotion. We would like to thank everyone that has helped us make it to this point and appreciate all the love and support. Can’t wait for you guys to see what we have in store for you 2012… Mahalo (inside joke).
Now we’ve all seen the award shows and what they think, but then again we also have our own opinion on what songs stood out most this year. Remember this is just my opinion so if you disagree… totally understandable. Since hip-hop is my favorite genre I will mainly pick from that area of music. In no particular order here are the top 10 tracks to drop in the year of 2011.
1. Tyga- “Rack City”. If you haven’t gotten down to this at all in the year of 2011 then something must be wrong. Every time that little start kicks on I know what time it is. Rack city Bi*ch. (5 Million Views)
2. DJ Khaled ft. Drake, Lil’ Wayne x Rick Ross- “I’m On One”. Not really sure what DJ Khaled has to do with this song besides maybe yelling “Get em up” in the beginning but it was heard everywhere around the world. Most def a top track and Summer anthem for 2011. (16 Million Views)
3. Meek Mill ft. Rick Ross- “I’m a Boss (remix)”. If this song doesn’t get you motivated to go out there and get your bread then I don’t know what does. Adding Rick Ross for the remix was a great move. (4 Million Views)
4. Nicki Minaj- “Super Bass”. This track was played by every girl in the world and stands on YouTube at 207 Million + views, I’d say that’s pretty successful. Dudes have to admit you can’t help but move your noggin to it also.
5. Watch The Throne-”Otis”. Some would argue that “Niggas in Paris” could beat this track out, but there’s no music video for it so this was the best choice. Plus “Otis” is what started the whole WTT movement being the first track leaked off the album. (31 Million Views)
6. Rihanna- “We Found Love”. At 88 Million views this track by Rihanna is still being played in every club and has become a worldwide hit. Stands out a lot amongst all the electro-pop-type songs in 2011.
7. Lil Wayne ft. Cory Gunz- “6 Foot 7 Foot”. Lil’ Wayne released this right out of prison and has been on fire ever since. “Blunt Blowin” could have also made this list. (43 Million Views)
8. Wiz Khalifa- “No Sleep”. Wiz Khalifa has had a great year overall. With the release of his first major label album”Rolling Papers” and a very successful worldwide tour I don’t see him or the Taylor Gang slowing down for any reason. (22 Million Views)
9. Big Sean ft. Nicki Minaj- “Dance (Ass) Remix”. I was fortunate enough to see Big Sean in concert this year and must admit when this song came on everybody went INSANE. That’s why I chose this one, adding Nicki Minaj to help out was a great idea also. (25 Million Views)
10. J. Cole- “Workout”. J. Cole definitely had a great 2011. With “The Sideline” story dropping he got to show everyone why Jay-Z co-signed him and is destined to have a great 2012. (21 Million Views)
We are proud to announce that today is finally the day that our Holiday line drops. The lookbook is now available on our main site and all items are ready for purchase. We have gone with a lot of different designs for this drop including some new ones for the ladies which I’m sure you will all enjoy. My personal favorite is our new RK Cursive Camo Hoodie. To look through more items just click here and flip through our Holiday lookbook. Thanks for all of the continuing support!
To view our entire line and check all of the new designs click here.
Wow. Nike created a YouTube account with the username DocEmmettBrown88 and dropped this video less than an hour ago. Looks like the sneaker game is back…to the future. The McFly’s are coming!
Here’s the McFlys in all their beauty from Back to the Future Part II
El-P always brings the heat, and this is the perfect song to close out the Adult Swim Single Series for this year. Some super raw, underground hip-hop for that ass! The beats nasty too btw. Be sure to visit Adult Swim and pick up the entire Adult Swim 2011 Singles Series.
I see what Kevin Durant is doing. The NBA isn’t going on so this is the only way he can stay warm before the season kicks back in. I haven’t seen this much footage of pros playing in small city tournaments ever. I like seeing players getting out there though and still playing the game they love, shows that they’re not TOO in it for the money. This was at he Nike Pro City Tournament in NY, KD had 41 points. Here’s the highlights.
Shoutout to our homeys over at Rocksmith with this dope new Summer line video. If you haven’t heard of Rocksmith by now then you must be living under a rock. Here it is.