So 2011 was a great year for music, but after looking at it… white rappers really had a hell of a year. Of course none of them are up where Eminem is (Two diamond albums) and probably never will be, but I’d still like to go through the rappers that were buzzin’ this year in the media. Here’s a little video list to explain a little better.
DISCLAIMER: These are just my views on who I think had a great year, if you seem to think different then that’s totally understandable. Let us know in the comments who else you think should have made this list.
1. Mac Miller. His most recent album “Blue Slide Park” just dropped but Mac Miller has been on his grind for a very long time. At only 19 years old he is the only independent artist to sell over 100,000 albums, aside from Snoop Dogg in 1992. That’s a pretty huge accomplishment considering how hard it is to sell albums these days. Mac also charges $30k + for shows these days with estimated earnings of $8 million in 2011 just from touring. Oh and “Donald trump” just certified Gold a few days ago also. (41 Million Views)
2. Machine Gun Kelly. This guy has also been touring for a very long time and got the attention of Diddy at the South by Southwest festival in Texas. He is now signed to Bad Boy and has the craziest fans in the world which are all part of the “Lace Up” movement. His most recent hit has been “Wild Boy” featuring Waka Flocka. (6 Million Views)
3. Action Bronson. Still somewhat underground Action Bronson is just now starting to get the attention he deserves. A lot of hip-hop legends from NYC are starting to co-sign this guy and I feel like he will be having a very good 2012.
4. Chris Webby. I have been a huge Chris Webby fan for a while now and feel like he is one of the best white rappers out there but still hasn’t received enough mainstream attention to make it to the top. One of the best wordsmiths out there also. Look for Webby to be hitting the road in 2012 as he embarks on a nationwide tour.
5. Yelawolf. When you’re signed by the best white emcee, excuse me best emcee to ever do it… then you must have some talent. I remember seeing Yelawolf perform out in Pullman, WA when he was on tour with Wiz Khalifa and he got Boo’d off the stage real quick, same with when he performed in Seattle. He’s made it a long way since then and with the guidance of Slim Shady is guaranteed to have a solid career.
6. Macklemore- One of my favorite hip-hop blog to visit is rapradar.com which is mainly ran by Elliot Wilson, also my favorite hip-hop journalist. Once I saw him posting about Macklemore and his sold out shows I knew it was go time for the Seattle native. He just recently got off tour and every stop was a sold out venue. Really looking to seeing much more success from Macklemore and his partner in crime Ryan Lewis.
7. Asher Roth. I feel like Asher Roth is known way too much for his song ” I love College” than for the lyrical skills he possesses. He’s been coming out with a lot of music recently and inked a new label deal with Def Jam. Look for a lot of new material coming your way in 2012.
This wasn’t a top 10 list of anything, those are just the rappers that I found relevant in the year 2011. Hope you enjoyed the video examples and let us know what you think!
Looking back now, a lot of major stuff happened in the past year so I’ve decided to put together a little video list of what went down. Here are the top moments of 2011 in my opinion, if you think we should add something else on here let us know! So in no particular order here they go.
1. Obama Got Osama. Probably going to be the number one helper in Obama’s 2012 campaign. Killing the person responsible for 9/11 was one of the greatest justifications in United States history.
2. Amanda Knox free at last. Whether you agree with Amanda Knox being guilty or not this case dragged on for years and at one point seemed like there was no hope for innocence. Amanda Knox returning to the States and her home in Seattle was viewed all over the world by everyone anticipating a verdict.
3. Casey Anthony not guilty. Just watched a Dr. Phil special about this the other day. One of the craziest cases the court has ever seen, people still don’t believe she didn’t do it but the court said “not guilty” so that’s what it is. Here’s some more info.
4. Gaddafi Killed. Feel like everyone was waiting for this to happen and it finally did. Rebels killed him and then Tosh. O made a trend out of “Gaddafying” people.
5. Kim Jong Il Dead. Just happened recently. Kim Jong Il had been North Korea’s leader for a very long time and now the people of North Korea or mourning his death. Son is set to take over.
6. Safe Landing in Poland. Polish Pilot Tadeusz Wrona saved 231 people on board this 767 plane by landing on its belly. The wheels wouldn’t deploy but he still found a way to land successfully and was named a hero in Poland.
7. Sandusky. We all know what happened here. Can’t be touching little boys and think to get away with it. The firing of Joe Paterno for witnessing these acts was also very huge and caused riots all over the state of Pennsylvania.
8. Tsunami & Earthquakes in Japan. One of the biggest natural disasters to strike the nation of Japan. Caused nuclear reactors to pollute the air and many lives were lost.
9. Kate and Prince William getting married. The most anticipated Royal wedding ever went down this year too, had everybody talking about it even Kanye West. “If I was him I woulda married Kate and Aaaaaashley”.
10. Steve Jobs Passes. The man that gave the world the iPod, iPhone, iPad, and much much more passed due to cancer. He will be greatly missed and his legacy lives on.
11. The launch of Rich Kids Brand. We launched our official Rich Kids brand June 15th of this year and have experienced some of the greatest moments. From Ludacris, Lil’ Wayne, Meek Mill, Clinton Sparks and many more wearing our clothes to making new friends through traveling and promotion. We would like to thank everyone that has helped us make it to this point and appreciate all the love and support. Can’t wait for you guys to see what we have in store for you 2012… Mahalo (inside joke).
I don’t think I’m ballin cause I have a blog but apparently some people do. This video looks like it’s about to be a big problem for a lot of people, in a good way. So here’s some behind the scenes footage for the music video “Ballin”. The Real is Back!
According to several reports DMX is supposed to get out soon and says that Rick Ross reached out to him about signing to Maybach Music. This would be awesome, DMX is a much better fit to MMG’s gangster persona than Wale. For sure want to see this happen. Here’s what X had to say to VIBE magazine about the issue.
VIBE: You got major labels interested?
Yeah. Actually, Rick Ross’ peoples wrote me a letter while I was in here.
Yeah like ‘Yo we got a home for you. We’ll pick you up in a limo. Just come to Miami. Just come, we got you.’
Oh wow, have you thought about that?
I’m thinking about it. It was a good feeling. I respect him as an artist, and I would like to work with him. But he got the whole Illuminati thing going on. I got fans who write me like ‘I’m glad you’re not a part of that.’ And I don’t know what it’s really about entirely. So it might be like a good thing.
That’s crazy man. Because I don’t know if you heard but right now Rick Ross is on fire. Maybach Music Group signed up a whole bunch of people. Wale, Pill–and they’re really doing it man. That would be a crazy power move if you guys joined up.
Yeah. I have respect for him and he expressed interest that he wanted to work with me while I was out. So I definitely want do a song with him, but I don’t know about the record label thing. I would have to see what his camp is like and feel people out. I’m not the average artist.
Not everyone may be a fan of the Odd Future movement but you have to admit that they are making a lot of noise in the music industry. Here two of the OF members (Tyler the Creator and Frank Ocean) come together to give us the visuals for “She”. Enjoy.
So Forbes just released their “Most Powerful Celebrity” list and man do these people make a lot of money. Lady Gaga was at the top of the list earning $90 million. She wasn’t the highest earning celebrity, but the “power” of a person is measured by much more than just dollar signs. It was also based off fan base and influence over people in the past year. Here’s how the list looked for the top 5 spots.
1. Lady Gaga- $90,000,000
2. Oprah Winfrey- $290,000,000
3. Justin Bieber- $53,000,000
4. U2- $195,000,000
5. Elton John- $100,000,000
That kid (Bieber) is literally Richy Rich. Swaggin’ on em. Of course Oprah’s makin’ the most dough.
Hodgy beats is also an Odd Future member and the other half of MelloHype. He’s probably my favorite one out of the whole group to be honest. Here’s his newest cut “April 27th”.